Sunday, February 17, 2008

Praying for a smilie face...

Today we bought a box of OPKs at Target. When I informed my nurse practicioner at our last appointment that I was worried about the LH surge because I had never been able to detect it before, she suggested we purchase the digital kind of OPK. We did, and it seems easy enough-- if you have no surge that day, you get a blank circle-- if you do have a surge, you get a smilie face. How appropriate! I know if it happens I'll be jumping for joy, calling Dr. M-L to set up an appointment for my IUI the next day and stressing about giving myself the injection that night.

That much I know. What I haven't figured out yet is how to go about your normal day NOT thinking about whether or not you're going to get a smilie face when you pee on a stick an hour after you get home. How on earth is anyone supposed to understand that? As I've said before, we've become pretty adept at pretending nothing is going on, but this gets into another whole territory.

Before when I've used the kits, it was more for practice when we were getting ready to do the at-home ICI. They were Target brand and $15/box. These gosh dang things are $30/box, which is a little ridiculous, but the fact that I am about 16 hours from spending over $400 at the pharmacy tomorrow puts it in perspective.

No comments: