Thursday, March 13, 2008

Successful cervix hunting

Ryan and I had a large milestone this evening. Our IUI catheters came in last week & our much anticipated specula earlier this week. I wanted to wait a few days after my HSG before we explored. We had the enormous task of finding my cervix with the specula in preparation for IUI next week. I was a little nervous for Ryan. This is a huge task that I have gotten us into & he knows that I am comfortable with the plans, but he is the one that is going to have to carry it out.

So we get the instruments: speculum, flash light, and mirror. Ryan is already grossed out. He was like, "I hope this doesn't ruin sex for me." I thought it was funny. So we get in position. I place the specula while he holds the mirror. The first time I opened the speculum we didn't see anything but CM and the walls. I tried to readjust with no luck. Ryan was already discouraged, but he was hanging in there. I took it out and reinserted it. As soon as I opened the blades, Ryan excitedly says, "I see it !!!" So he moved the mirror so I could see better and there it was in all it's glory. We were both smiling ear to ear. I just wanted to look at it for a view minutes. He was like, "I can definitely get it [the catheter] through there." Apparently, he thought it was going to be much smaller. So it will be my job to get it in view & he will do the rest.

We still haven't decided if we should do two inseminations or just one this cycle. I am leaning toward one, but we have a week to decide.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm cracking up! This is so hilarious! Does "Dr. R" make house calls???